Hi! I’m Susan Lamb here is my story!

The day I Received THE CALL, and why I NOW Believe in Miracles

I would just like to start by saying that I believe in miracles and the healing power of God. This is my story.

On February 7, 2005 at approximately 3 p.m., I received THE call that changed my life.  The doctor called saying I had Stage 4-B Hodgkins Lymphoma. This is terminal and for most people it is a death sentence.  The doctor told me that he might be able to help me but he also told me to get my affairs in order. I had tumors on my liver, lungs, stomach, esophagus and in my entire lymph system. I was losing weight rapidly; as much as a pound a day.  The tumors in my throat were so large I could only swallow a tablespoon of food in one sitting and I had a chronic cough.

I Asked God for Three things

The doctor may have been pessimistic but I wasn’t.  I told him, “You don’t know what you’re talking about.  I’m not going anywhere.” I was going to fight this. My youngest daughter was in kindergarten and my oldest daughter was due to have twins within the next couple of weeks.  

That night I sat on the edge of my bed and said, “God, I know you have a lesson in this for me and I will listen; but I want to ask you for three things. I want to live to see my children and grandchildren grow up. I want to see them marry and have children.  And please God let me keep my two riding horses.” And God has granted me all of these things!

My cancer was so far advanced because I had been misdiagnosed for over 2 years. The doctors at first thought it was my thyroid.  I had CT scans, scopes, all sorts of tests. One doctor even told me there was nothing wrong with me; I was just premenopausal. I juiced and ate well so my blood tests always came back good. 

Letting Go of Resistance

I soon realized that I was living like I was dying.  I never want anyone to go through that or live their life that way. Once I realized this, I let go of all resistance and began listening to my inner self.  I began meditating and would surround myself with the white light of God; then, take a green light and circle it around me and use it to push out all of the bad.  Any pain that I felt, I pretended was pacman and I imagined him eating up all the bad cancer cells. I did this every day; sometimes as much as 10 times a day!

If you’ve ever seen the movie, The Bucket List, then you can envision what chemo treatments are like.  This was a very accurate portrayal. I would come home and shiver; my teeth would chatter because I was so cold.  My 5 year old daughter would cover me and lay on top of me to try to get me warm. One time she wasn’t home and my St. Bernard, Ben, laid on top of me to try to get me warm (what an awesome dog!).  I was allergic to one of the chemo drugs so I was given a bag of Benadryl before treatment; talk about getting loopy! I was also allergic to the glucose radiation they inject you with at the PET scan. This caused me to break out with what looked like poison ivy all over my bald head, neck, shoulders and back.  I still have the scars from this to remind me.

Just let me say for those of you who haven’t been through chemo and all the drugs that goes with it; chemo kicks your ass!  One night I was in a very bad place, when I opened my eyes and there was a figure at the end of my bed. The figure reached out with palms up and in a male voice said, “You are not done yet.  You have so much more to do.” I believe this was my guardian angel. This was the most calming experience I have ever had. After that I felt a great relief and my strength began to pick up. 

Homeless but not Hopeless

My treatment lasted 7 months and during that time I was unable to work.  At that time I had my rental house and a farm where I lived with my horses, I also rescued horses.  I did receive short term disability but that was only $324 / week. During this time my tenant got pulled over and put in jail for a DUI and his girlfriend refused to pay rent.  I had to hire a lawyer to take care of my legal obligations. He was amazing and only charged me $500. We did a deed IOU on my house and foreclosed on the rental property. But I was able to live at the farm until the end of the year.  I kept looking for a place to rent in the same school district but was unable to find anything and my youngest daughter and I ended up living out of my ‘85 Volvo. Eventually, we lost it all house, farm, car…..For three months we were homeless.  We slept on other people’s couches. Even though everything we lost was just stuff; it was still very hard. My friend boarded my horses and my ex bought a house and let me rent it from him. We even stayed with him until he closed on the house and we could move in.  Luckily, I still had my job. My director had to fight to keep me as I had been out 7 months and the job stated I could only be out 6 months. The reason for the extra month was that I had a staph infection in the port in my chest. At one point my fever reached 106 degrees fahrenheit.  I joked with my doctor, “You can’t kill me with chemo, so you’re trying to kill me with this.” My hair had just begun growing back and it all fell out again.  

“It’s a God Thing”

When I went in for my last scan, it showed I had a 2 inch tumor on my left lung.  The doctor wanted to start radiation. This was on a Tuesday. I told them I would absolutely not do any radiation.  We then took an x-ray to see what it would show and it also showed a tumor on my left lung. The doctor said he would take another x-ray on Friday and gave me until then to think about the radiation treatments.  On Thursday our church was having a Thirsty Thursday prayer meeting and I decided to go to church. After the service, I asked my pastor to put me on the prayer list for that weekend and explained what was going on. He said, “We’re not gonna wait.  We’re praying now!” He called over everyone who was still left in the room and put his left hand on my right shoulder and his right hand on my left shoulder and began praying. Everyone who was there also was putting their hands on me. He prayed for God to remove this tumor from me.  He prayed for my health and my strength. My whole body was shaking when he finished and everyone was crying. I felt so renewed! It was so awesome! The next day was the Friday I was due for my next appointment. They immediately took the x-ray and when the doctor came in and looked at the results, THE TUMOR WAS GONE!  I smiled and told the doctor, “I believe it’s a God thing!”  

It’s been fourteen years and my life is wonderful!  I have 4 amazing kids and 6 totally amazing grandchildren (with more to come in the future).  I share my life with an awesome man. I have a roof over my head and I still have my horses. Just as I asked God and as He answered.  I also have 2 awesome little dogs and a car that runs. What more could I want or ask for? I wake up every day and thank God for it all every day and every moment!

I still pursue my passions for horseback riding, horse camping and traveling, hiking, kayaking, gardening, cooking great food and loving my grandkids (not necessarily in that order). I’ve followed my heart to become a life coach because I love helping people empower themselves.  There is no greater pleasure in life than having a client tell you how much you have helped them!

I’m not telling you this because I want your sympathy.  I want you to know that through this I have come out stronger and learned that I live a wonderful life.  It’s a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie and now I feel that I get to live it each day. After this experience, I went to a prayer meeting at church and everyone was asked, what are you grateful for.  Well, I’m grateful for my cancer! It showed me what I don’t want out of life; but it also showed me what I do want out of life! What I have is awesome! I have my life, I have my family and I have my horses.  God is truly awesome! I tell you this because I don’t want anyone to live like they’re dying. I believe in miracles. Live and enjoy life every day!  


I hold you all in the healing light of God, many blessings,